I think we are a combination product of our expectations and
environment. In the video, Wes Moore asked what separated him from the other
Wes Moore who was convicted for robbery. It begins with having that strong
support system at home. Wes Moore's parents instilled in him strong values
about how to treat women. His dad told him he should always protect women.
These expectations shaped him into the man that he turned out to be. Parents
are their child's best teachers. Sometimes, they are not sure how to be. This graph shows what having a supportive environment looks or sounds like. Children observe and copy attitudes and
patterns they see from their parents. However, just because we have
expectations that are set doesn't mean we always follow them.
Depending on the person, outside environmental factors influence our decision making. For example, I have a relative who's parents treated him like a king. He had set expectations on what it meant to be a successful provider for his future family. His parents weren't perfect but they never abused him and he lived in a decent neighborhood. Yet, he started hanging out with a bad crowd. He easily followed these friends into doing drugs, gangs, and stealing. Because he allowed his environment to influence his behavior, he is now locked up. A person's mold depends on what they do with their personal circumstances. Being able to be successful does not always come easy for everyone.
Not everybody is provided with the same opportunities. The Other Wes Moore's mom was the first in her family to go to college. Wes Moore highlights how education is an environmental factor that influences someone. She could have had a whole different life if she were able to graduate. However, the college cut off her grants and she was never able to finish. As a result, she had limited job opportunities and ended up raising a family in a dangerous neighborhood. Kids who grow up in these neighborhoods are more likely to experiment with bad choices that surround their environment. Not only that but they become part of a stigma that follows people that live in these areas. These are stereotypes that exist among African American people. People who live in poor areas are expected to be less successful compared to those in rich neighborhoods. Thus, having the expectation that you are going to fail discourages a person from trying in the first place. They become what Wes Moore mentions as "the others." They never question why they are at their place in society, but blindly accept.
The Other Wes Moore said that he missed out on every opportunity. Personally, I believe my environment and expectations made me a product of who I am today. Both my parents instilled the value of education in me. It was raised with knowing right from wrong. Yet, I did not follow every expectation set out for me as my father would prefer I be more conservative than I am. By immersing myself in liberal culture, it helped shape my attitude towards the world and resisted my father's expectations. Wes Moore mentions that the reason why students are behind is due to the lack of school they receive either from summer or excessive absences. Also, their parents don't fully prepare them for being able to retain an education. Having no expectations from parents makes it challenging for kids to excel. These intentions are not malicious, but from not knowing how to properly assert their authority over their child's education. Therefore, kids get held back or may not see the value for going to school at all. Although each person has their own struggles that they need to deal with, I believe everyone can be a success story. It may be harder for others due to limitations placed upon them, but with perseverance and hard work they can overcome it. Wes Moore said that his mother experienced physical, mental, and sexual abuse but she was able to give her family a decent life that lead them in a good direction.
Hi Candice, I like the graphs/charts you included in your blog; they're very insightful. I agree with you that people are a combination of both because both are very strong influences and cosign with each other. As I said in my own blog, expectations can create environments and environments can create expectations.
Activities that I enjoy while coping with difficult situations are watching shows or movies. I enjoy these activities because they become a source of escape for my problems. When I watch movies and shows I like to pretend that my friends and I are the characters on screen. Imagining the different lives I can have is entertaining. There are different ways people cope. Not every way of coping is healthy. For example, when Alma died from her body rejecting the kidney transplant, Kenneth chose alcohol as his mechanism. Although getting drunk causes a person to lose control of themselves and forget what is going on around them, it is only a temporary solution. I relate to Kenneth in a sense that sometimes making bad choices seems okay to do if it offers a quick solution. You don't always think about the long term consequences one choice can have. Constantly indulging in alcohol every time a difficult situation arises will lead to more harm than good. Wes' mom decid...
Is Fast Food the New Tobacco? Fast food is the new tobacco. People do not even think about ordering out anymore. It comes naturally to them. People lead busy lives and do not have the energy to cook a thirty minute to two hour dinner. In his article, Don't Blame the Eater, David Zinczeko, talks about how in his life his "mom working long hours to make the monthly bills. Lunch and dinner, for me, was a daily choice between McDonalds, Taco Bell…" (391) There are many parents who are going through similar situations. While driving, a person may pass by at least three or four fast food chains on the way to their destinations. Fast food is called fast for a reason. It only takes about five minutes to order food at a drive-thru. Although there are healthy alternatives, it takes too much time to prepare. Healthier alternatives also tend to be more expensive. Therefore, if a person is struggling to make ends meet, fast food is cheap and reliable. ...
Hi Candice, I like the graphs/charts you included in your blog; they're very insightful. I agree with you that people are a combination of both because both are very strong influences and cosign with each other. As I said in my own blog, expectations can create environments and environments can create expectations.
ReplyDeleteCandice,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the various perspectives you provided to the topic.